Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I'm Not Ashamed To Say I Listen To Taylor Swift...

Over the past two days, it seems that the only thing people are talking about -- when I say "talking" I really mean Facebook updating and/or Tweeting -- is what happened at the 2009 MTV VMAs. Oh, you haven't heard about it? Now, you have; so I don't need to discuss the details of what happened. On to my rants and what I believe to be are facts:

1. What Kanye West did to Taylor Swift was awful. Period.

2. This doesn't change a thing in terms of Kanye's fans. Because let's face it, all of us already knew that Mr. West isn't exactly a stand-up guy or the model citizen for the world... yet many still listen to his music and buy his albums (myself included).

3. What this did change: Who remembers who won this female VMA in 2008? I sure don't (granted I haven't actually watched this show since maybe my junior year in high school). I'll take it a step further: can you tell me who won the grammy award for female artist in 2008? If you remember this without google-ing it, then kudos to you! But if you're like me and the rest of us, you either don't remember or don't care. But from now on, everyone will at least be thinking: "Taylor Swift won the VMA in 2009! Remember?!? That was the year Kanye interrupted her on stage!"

4. What's worse? a) Kobe Bryant cheating on his wife and arguably raping that girl in Colorado b) Chris Brown putting his hands on Rihanna OR c) Kanye upstaging Taylor Swift? -- There's a long, long list of people who are good at what they do but are bad at being decent people. Yet many support these individuals no matter what, because of their individual talents. People make mistakes, we forgive them, and we move on - (although I haven't quite forgiven Chris Brown and I still hate the Lakers so I tend to call Kobe a rapist).


I'm not defending what Mr. West did to Ms. Swift. There's no justification for it. He admits it himself. But what I am saying is that it's time to move on, people. Because no matter how many times you want to call him a "Douche" (this is ALL OVER Facebook - there's even a poll!), he's still gonna be making music and many will still be listening (myself included).

Til next time...


p.s. I'm gonna rock out to my Taylor Swift album now... don't judge me!


3 comments:

  1. Im sorry matt, i cant move on because now i look at kanye in a whole new way. Not for showing disrespect to Taylor Swift, but for showing respect to Beyonce! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Marketing ploy?

    2. Justifies the ploy. Massive attention with minimal backlash.

    3. Further justifies. More attention to TS leading to sales increase, those who don't know her now know, and those we do will support her even stronger.

    4. Rape. forsure.

    ReplyDelete